Sunday, September 9, 2012

Catching Up On My DNC Commentary & Looking Forward






By Shonda Renee


Last week was an absolute BLAST!  The DNC's convention was off the hook, if people still say that. President Obama got a very hefty boost in his numbers for the efforts of all of his surrogates and supporters who ventured to North Carolina for the festivities.


Day two’s featured speaker, Bill Clinton, aka #BigDog in the twittersphere, was nothing less than phenomenal in his ability to talk to a crowd of thousands as if they were all his blood relatives.  He dazzled everyone with facts and figures, and put a stop to the GOP’s notion that Obama had been given enough time, by saying “President Obama started with a much weaker economy than I did. Listen to me now. No president, no president -- not me, not any of my predecessors -- no one could have fully repaired all the damage that he found in just four years,” to great cheers from the crowd in the arena and twitter as well.
While he made his address with that wagging finger we all know so well, Mr. Clinton rallied all Democrats in our common cause to reelect President Obama and made the Republicans reluctantly bow down in brief submission to his greatness.  I say brief, because I woke up this morning to Newt Gingrich, on Candy Crowley’sState of the Union program on CNN, attempting to, as only a delusional Republican would, extract Clinton’s subliminal message of superiority over Barack Obama.  After I screamed at the television, fired off a few disgruntled tweets to Ms. Crowley for her lack of journalistic ethics by not insisting her guests speak truth, I calmed down, and put myself back in game mode.  This allowed me to see the strategy behind such an effort, which, as I deteremined, was to try to neutralize as much of the positive effects of the speech as possible.  I then chuckled and thought nice try Mr. Gingrich, whatever dude.
On day three of the convention, Joe Biden came out and just made me want to be his BFF.  Joe Biden is folksy, but not in that Sarah Palin I’m just not smart sorta folksy, but authentically folksy backed up with enough knowledge and experience to wield influence.  This is the concoction that makes people just want to be your BFF forever ever.  The most poignant part of his speech, for me, was when he spoke about how he and President Obama have gotten to know one another.  He said, “I learned of the enormity of his heart. And he learned of the depth of my loyalty.”  What a pair.
President Obama’s speech was quite Presidential, aside from the “Feel a cold coming on? Take two tax cuts, roll back some regulations, and call us in the morning!” joke, which went over fabulously.  In his speech, he asserted that we were all in this together, which was reminiscent of his assertion in 2004 that we all must pitch in to get the job at hand done.  President Obama also pledged that he is committed to making sure that everyone will pay their fair share and the tax breaks to the wealthy will come to an end.
Obviously, it is a clear choice for me and one that I’ve posted before so there’s no need to restate it.  I will simply end by saying, it was a beautiful week and October 3rd, the first debate, can’t get here soon enough!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment