Monday, September 3, 2012

Are you better off now than you were four years ago?

By Shonda Renee

 
Are you better off now than you were four years ago? This is the question that has been posed and will continue to be posed by the Republican Party. If they were to ask me directly, the answer would be a resounding hell no, as it would for the vast majority of the poor and middle-class. However, no matter how much the Republicans insist, the question does not stop with that answer.
How we arrived at these difficult times is of great importance, especially if we do not want to relive them. No matter how much Republicans may be on their knees praying to their God, I have to insist that I do not suffer from amnesia or denial. I know the reason behind the fact that the law firm I worked for, after 114 years of business, closed its doors. I know the reason behind the fact that I'm working in a job making much less than I was making in 2008.  I know the reason behind seeing family and friends loosing homes that they loved and worked so hard for.
I know who drove this ship ashore and I knew it in November of 2008 when I casted my vote for Barak Obama.  I also knew then, as candidate Obama consistently insisted, that it would take all hands on deck to get this ship offshore.  Little did I know; however, that specifically on inauguration day, there were Republican forces at work making pledges and casting their allegiance against the best interest of the American people.  They pledged to keep our ship ashore for as long as they could to ensure the failure of our officially elected President, Barak Obama.
 
Now, I admitted that I am not better off now than I was four years ago, and the fact that I understand the previous administration is to blame for that, and the fact that there were Republican forces at work to keep us from moving forward.  That leads me to ponder the real question of the day:  Who is going to continue to make progress for the better of all Americans?  Considering all of the facts that I just mentioned, I see no other response to that question than President Barak Obama.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment